I’m finding out what works as I go, so here I will be sharing useful links for anyone thinking of moving to Switzerland, or who has already made the move.
- https://www.mylanguageexchange.com/ – Connects you with native speakers so you can practice your new language. I found my speaking partner on here.
- https://www.englishforum.ch/ – A forum for English speaking expats to discuss life in Switzerland.
- http://www.klubschule.ch/ – The place to find good value language courses from beginner to advanced level. I’ve done one of these courses [Deutsch A1 1/2] and the teaching was really excellent – so good in fact, that I’m planning to do another one! Klubschule also offers other kinds of courses if you’re looking to learn another skill, from photography to cooking – however most of these courses will be conducted in one of Switzerland’s languages, depending on which bit of Switzerland you move to.
- https://tutor24.ch/ – If you’re looking to find work as an English tutor this is a good place to start. I have started tutoring due to this website.
- https://babysitting24.ch/ – If you want to work as a nanny/babysitter/au pair this is a useful website [though I’ve had more success with Great Aupair below]
- http://www.greataupair.com/ – Job postings for nannies, au pairs, personal assistants, tutors and pet sitters.
- http://www.indeed.ch/ – The Swiss version of the famous job site – just type in the word “English” into the search bar and usually quite a few job options for English speakers will come up. Particularly good if you work in the banking/ pharmaceutical industries
- https://www.thelocal.ch/ – Local Swiss news and job site, written in English.
- Meetup.com – A place to find nearby social groups according to your interests. I would say that meetups can be a bit hit and miss, as you just don’t know if you’ll connect with people until you meet them, but as it can be hard to meet anyone as an expat, it’s still worth a try.